Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Slipped into your skin and spent the night

You came to pick me up. Our distance was platonic and polite, but we spoke readily. This reunion smelled familiar.
We talked about my dead friend. A man who threw himself off 5 stories, and a brief tale of his interest in me. Romantically. And his untimely confession before his time came. Why did you not date him? he asked. Because I didn't like him. I liked someone else. I paused. And the person I like is right in front of me.


There was a silence as his scooter zipped past traffic lights. Gee, how do you even manage to get such mushy stuff out of your mouth? He teased, and I blushed furiously. My heart was racing quicker than the speed meter. Then slowly, he reached behind for my hand. My hands were on his hips, because I was afraid to put them around him. I was afraid, because I thought he stopped loving me. I was afraid, because I thought we were supposed to be just friends. I was afraid. But he held my hand in his, and stroked with his thumb.

We smoked cigarettes in the bath room. It was like electricity, when his skin touched mine. It was like every ache that had built up over the months we were apart evaporated, like they never existed. You whispered in my ears I've missed you so, it's been a while and my soul trembled. Have you been seeing anyone whilst I was gone? you asked, looking up at me imploringly with those big eyes I haven't seen in a while. I shook my head, and watched you return your gaze into the mirror. The reflection of us, a possibility I never knew that existed. Good girl. But why? I bit into my bottom lip.

I was waiting for you, I answered, bitterly, and he pulled me into a kiss, instantly my bitterness went up in smoke. I would later on curl up in his arms and my pillow his chest, we would breathe each other in and out. It was like there was oxygen in my lungs again. He kissed my forehead and stroked my hair as we drifted off to sleep.

It felt like a dream. Maybe I am still sleeping. Maybe this is the beginning of yet another cruel joke the universe had planned, an elaborate prank to give him back to me and later, only to viciously snatch him away from my arms again.

No comments:

Post a Comment